The suckers are growing at an alarming rate!
This is the time of year that the suckers in the filbert orchard are growing like crazy. If you ignore them for a week or two, they will get away from you and become a real issue. Of course, that is assuming you want your orchard to be single-trunk trees. If you are looking for a multi-trunk shrub, you have got it made!
We have spent the last 3 weeks (thankfully some of it sunny) spraying in the filbert orchards. We have:
- Cleaned up our tree rows with Roundup or Gramoxone
- Pulled out all the remaining winter brush and limbs that litter the orchard floor
- Sprayed the center alleys with Round-up to kill the grass and weeds – which helps conserve moisture.
- Sprayed Rely to burn down the suckers.
- Sprayed Boron – our leaf analysis last year said we were low and it is important for nut set
- Sprayed Plantskyyd on the young trees to discourage deer browsing.
There is nothing prettier than the orchard in Spring –